Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, March 30, 2014

3-30-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:








Video: “Beeline World Music Mix”
This has got to be one of the more unusual international music mashups around. I’m adding it to The Best Sites For Learning About The World’s Different Cultures:
“You Really Need To Get A Life, Mr. Ferlazzo”
I had this dialogue in class on Friday and shared it on Facebook. It got such a positive reaction there, I thought readers here might enjoy it, too: Me to class: “Email your outlines to me and I’ll send you back comments.” Student: “When are you going to read them?” Me: “Over the weekend” Student: “You really need to get a life, Mr. Ferlazzo.”


Just Sent-Out Free Monthly Email Newsletter
I’ve just mailed out the March issue of my simple free monthly email newsletter. It has about 2,000 subscribers, and you can subscribe here.
March’s “The Best” Lists — There Are Now 1,284 Of Them!
Here’s my monthly round-up of new “The Best…” lists I posted this month (you can see all 1,284 of them categorized here): The “All-Time” Best Resources, Articles & Blog Posts For Teachers Of EnglishLanguage Learners The “All-Time” Best Science Sites The Best Resources For Learning About Mudslides The Best Sites For Learning About Japan The Best Sites For Learning About India The Best Sites Fo


Video: Colorado Fire Tornado
I’m adding this video to The Best Resources For Learning About Tornadoes:
Video: “This Is a Generic Brand Video”
If you teach a lesson on advertising, or if you teach Perception in an IB Theory of Knowledge class, you’ll want to use this video:


This Week’s “Round-Up” Of Good Posts, Articles & Videos On Education Policy
Here are some recent useful resources on educational policy issues: Teachers union fights new plan by Sacramento and other school districts to address low-performing schools is from The Sacramento Bee. I’m adding it to The Best Posts & Articles On The NCLB Waiver Given To Eight California School Districts (Including Ours). New York Schools: The Roar of the Charters is by Diane Ravitch at The


Around The Web In ESL/EFL/ELL
I’ve started a somewhat regular feature where I share a few posts and resources from around the Web related to ESL/EFL or to language in general that have caught my attention: What kind of teacher are you? is a fun little Facebook quiz that the British Council has developed for ESL/EFL Teachers. TEFL Reflections has a nice post listing different ways teachers can check for student understandin
This Week In Web 2.0
In yet another attempt to get at the enormous backlog I have of sites worth , I’ve recently begin a regular feature called “The Week In Web 2.0.” (you might also be interested in The Best Web 2.0 Applications For Education In 2013). I also sometimes include tech tools that might not exactly fit the definition of Web 2.0: Sketch Toy is a simple and useful online drawing tool. You can learn more ab


Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Week… 3-29-14 …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EF
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFLLARRY FERLAZZO’S WEBSITES OF THE DAYGreat Interactive Video: “Sounds Of GREAT Britain”Sounds of GREAT Britain is a very cool series of interactive videos that allow viewers to take a customized audio and visual tour of…Great Britain. It’s very creative. I’ve embedded the first video below… The creators of the video also have