Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, April 30, 2012

The Hardest Job Everyone Thinks They Can Do | Musings on Life and Love

The Hardest Job Everyone Thinks They Can Do | Musings on Life and Love:

The Hardest Job Everyone Thinks They Can Do

By , September 13, 2010 6:30 am
Image by doug88888 via Flickr
This piece was inspired by a heated discussion I had with a man who believes that teachers have an easy job. Please feel free to share it with others if you agree with the message.
I used to be a molecular biologist. I spent my days culturing viruses. Sometimes, my experiments would fail miserably, and I’d swear to myself in frustration. Acquaintances would ask how my work was going. I’d explain how I was having a difficult time cloning this one gene. I couldn’t seem to figure out the exact recipe to use for my cloning cocktail.
Acquaintances would sigh sympathetically. And they’d say, “I know you’ll figure it out. I have faith in you.”
And then, they’d tilt their heads in a show of respect for my skills….
Today, I’m a high school teacher. I spend my days culturing teenagers. Sometimes, my students get