Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

What does it mean to be “educated”? | Being Latino Online Magazine

What does it mean to be “educated”? | Being Latino Online Magazine:

What does it mean to be “educated”?

by Cristopher Rubio

Just last week I was sitting with my cap, gown (and hood!) at the University of Georgiafor my graduation ceremony honoring my Master’s Degree in Educational Administration and Policy (the best part of it all was sitting next to my fiancé who was also graduating). For some time now, I had imagined the day and how great it would feel to finally be done. My family would be there, I’d take pictures with my fiancé in our regalia, and we’d all go out and celebrate the fact that we were that much more educated.

Ay mi hijito, el educado,” I could imagine my abuelita saying proudly. El educado…was that what someone would think or say about me? I started to think about what that meant. Exactly when did I become more