Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Daily Kos: In Honor of Teachers

Daily Kos: In Honor of Teachers:

In Honor of Teachers

Since it’s back-to-school season across the country, I wanted to celebrate a group that is often maligned: teachers. Like so many others, it was a teacher who changed the direction of my life, and to whom I’m forever indebted.
So begins Charles Blow in this New York Times op ed this morning.

Blow cites data from things like the Phi Delta Kappa/Gallup poll on American education in which 76% of Americans want the best brightest students to become teachers and 67% percent are willing to have their own children become teachers. Blow then offers these words, which I hope you will read carefully:

But how do we expect to entice the best and brightest to become teachers when we keep tearing the profession down? We take the people who so desperately want to make a difference that they enter a field where they know that they’ll be overworked and underpaid, and we scapegoat them as the cause of a societywide failure.

I had read that far when I decided I needed to post about this piece by Blow.

Please keep reading.