Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Jigsaw Juts and Slots - Arlington, VA, United States, ASCD EDge Blog post

Jigsaw Juts and Slots - Arlington, VA, United States, ASCD EDge Blog post

Looking Ahead

Jigsaw Juts and Slots

Walter’s blog archive: http://surfaquarium.com/blog.htm
Mirror site: http://surfaquarium.blogspot.com/2011/07/jigsaw-juts-and-slots.html

Consider these three pieces to the public education puzzle. How can they fit together?

The Parent:

I have three children in our local public schools. My oldest is very successful ad her teachers all love her. She is our “low maintenance” kid. My youngest is a handful…he is all about his friends and his gaming. We work hard to support him on homework and studying and he earns As, Bs and the occasional C. My Erik has the most difficult time. After a very difficult time in elementary school he was finally diagnosed with Asperger’s in middle school. Since then it has been a long hard road fighting for the accommodations for him in school. Especially as he has gotten into high school, the staff has been more and more resistant to supporting him. They say it’s all about him adapting to the real world. I disagree, and I’ve been in there so often fighting for Erik they now cringe seeing me walk in the front door….it’s all over their faces. It’s awkward because I used to be “Parent of the