Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, May 20, 2011

Diary of a Social Art-tivist Mommy: Union Leader George Parker joins the 'dark side'

Diary of a Social Art-tivist Mommy: Union Leader George Parker joins the 'dark side'

Union Leader George Parker joins the 'dark side'


I just learned the news that ousted Washington Teacher's Union President, George Parker has joined forces with Michelle Rhee. After I got up from the floor I started fuming; connecting the pieces, yet fuming. What does this mean to us DC teachers? Parker was involved in the making of our famous 'balanced, fair and negotiated' contract 2 years back, so how fair could it have really been with our own union president having one foot on the other side?

I was talking to a friend yesterday about trust and he shared how he does not trust anyone involved in the education policy world, not even the unions. I added that perhaps the distrust came from the fact that most