In a recent Associated Press story ("Teaching crucial in topping education rankings," March 17, The Reporter) three things were common to helping students excel:

1. High requirements for those who want to enter the profession.

2. Teachers werer held in high esteem.

3. Teachers received lots of support.

I thought, "Well, OK, all that sounds reasonable. So what are we doing about it?"

When I earned my credential 25-years ago in Oregon, I had to have a degree in education. That's right, I hold a bachelor's degree in elementary education.

After two years of undergraduate education, I got to spend another two-plus years taking mostly elementary education courses, like three semesters of teaching reading and teaching math and two semesters on social studies and writing ... get the picture?

I can't find where the University of California, Davis, and California State University, Sacramento, even offer a bachelor's degree in education. But you can earn a master's and PhD in education from those schools. Apparently,