Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, April 3, 2020

Teacher Tom: "Their Language Will Always be Adequate for Their Own Understanding"

Teacher Tom: "Their Language Will Always be Adequate for Their Own Understanding"

"Their Language Will Always be Adequate for Their Own Understanding"


We were on the playground, down on our knees in the wood chips, playing with rocks, sticks, general debris, and a variety of broken or otherwise orphaned toys. Sylvia suggested, "Let's play a story."

We all knew exactly what she was talking about even though none of us had heard that particular phrase before. It delighted me, striking me as a uniquely inventive way of expressing herself. It was an invitation to join her in an idea, and not just any idea, but an idea to work together to create more ideas. Her phrase opened a door of understanding for me, giving me insight into something I thought I previously fully understood. I was so impressed that I've since made the expression my own, "Let's play a story," continuing to use it to this day.


"(T)here is no reason to give children "language tools" in order to facilitate clear thinking, intelligence, or greater knowledge. Their own use of language will always be adequate for their own understanding."  ~Eleanor Duckworth

Sonya definitely understood what she was proposing and her language was obviously equal to her understanding. She was an avid player of pretend and her understanding of it, judging from her use of words to talk about it, told me that she really CONTINUE READING: 
Teacher Tom: "Their Language Will Always be Adequate for Their Own Understanding"