Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, August 1, 2013

My Opponent’s Side Goes Negative: My Response | Sue Peters assails negative ad | Education | The Seattle Times:

My Opponent’s Side Goes Negative: My Response | Sue Peters for Seattle School Board:




My Opponent’s Side Goes Negative: My Response

For the Record….

Last week, a mailer was sent out to thousands of voters in Seattle School District 4 by a small group of supporters of Suzanne Dale Estey: Suzanne Naughton of the Great Seattle Schools, the Civic Alliance for a Sound Economy (CASE, the political action committee of the Chamber of Commerce), local businessmen Matt Griffin and Christopher Larson.
It contains false and incomplete information about my campaign. My views, qualifications and endorsements are misrepresented or omitted altogether. Though there are three candidates in the race, I am the only one singled out for this treatment.
Like many others, I was disturbed to see supporters of my opponent resort to such dishonest tactics on her behalf, and so early in the race.
Yet, it is also an indication of the strength and appeal of my candidacy.
I am proud of our authentic and smart grassroots campaign, which has focused on ideas and solutions to serious school district issues. Already we have been able to achieve a great deal, powered by dedicated volunteers, and connecting with supporters throughout 


 School Board candidate Sue Peters assails negative ad | Education | The Seattle Times:

School Board candidate Sue Peters assails negative ad

An independent group — backed so far mostly by two individuals — has raised $32,750 to support two school board candidates, and has sent out a negative ad targeting another one.
Seattle Times education reporter
MOST POPULAR COMMENTS
HIDE / SHOW COMMENTS
Estey doesn't have to inhibit anyone's freedom of speech. What she could have done was...  MORE
In the races for Seattle School Board, an independent group that’s raised $32,750 has sent out a negative advertisement targeting candidate Sue Peters and promoting one of her two opponents, Suzanne Dale Estey.
The group, which calls itself Great Seattle Schools, declared that Dale Estey is the “candidate for change” while Peters would offer “more of the same,” painting Peters as someone who would add to the problems that have plagued the School Board over the past few years.
Peters has criticized the ad, saying it misrepresents or omits her views, qualifications and endorsements.
“I have the support of four of the current School Board members and what that means is that I have their respect, and I will be able to work with the board in a constructive manner if I am elected.”
On her website, she has a point-by-point rebuttal, including refuting that she would oppose any