Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Invisibility and People Of Color in Education Reform - The Jose Vilson | The Jose Vilson

Invisibility and People Of Color in Education Reform - The Jose Vilson | The Jose Vilson:

Invisibility and People Of Color in Education Reform


Mad, The Invisible Man
Mad, The Invisible Man
Whenever people ask me where I stand on education reform, I ask them where I should start. Obviously, issues of equity and access rank at the top of my list of ideas I love to emphasize, but I can also get into curriculum and teacher quality if / when we need to have that debate. I don’t always agree with some of my colleagues on things, but we generally agree that schools and the systems in which they’re working stink.
Having said that, some discussions make me wonder if I have to revisit my allegiances or partners in this thing we call ed-reform.
I clearly don’t belong in the “clean out public schools / build up charters / fire teachers = solve all societal issues