Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Daily Kos: Wondering about my personal future

Daily Kos: Wondering about my personal future:


Wondering about my personal future

As my wife Leaves on the Current continues on her journey of recovery from her blood cancer, i have been able to begin exploring going back to work.  In the process of exploring various job opportunities, both within and without the walls of a school classroom, I have been trying to sort out what matters to me, how I want to use what productive time and energy I may have left to me as I approach my 67th birthday.  Knowing that within less than two months I will attend the 40th reunion of my final class at Haverford and the 50th reunion of my high school graduation in Mamaroneck NY also lead to my placing consideration of future opportunities within the context of what has gone before, both in my personal history and in the broader history of the 2/3 of a century through which I have lived.
My thoughts are far from concluded in any of this.
Because having a pension and Social Security provide sufficient income that we could if necessary downsize some and obviate my earning a fixed income, I do not need to consider income as a primary motivation for going back to work.  Time and what I do with it are of far greater importance.
Thus I understand that this thinking "aloud" may not speak as clearly to others as perhaps my writing directly on the nature of teaching or of education.
This community is a major part of my "extended family,"  I am used to sharing my thoughts and listening to what others may offer in return.
So I invite you if so inclined to continue reading, and will not be upset if the traffic on this is minimal.    I benefit from the simple process of getting it out of my mind and in to a format where I can read it and reflect both upon what I have written and what others might choose to share with me.