Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Public Schools Can Recover from the COVID-19 Quarantine by Skipping High Stakes Tests | gadflyonthewallblog

Public Schools Can Recover from the COVID-19 Quarantine by Skipping High Stakes Tests | gadflyonthewallblog

Public Schools Can Recover from the COVID-19 Quarantine by Skipping High Stakes Tests

There is one plus from being sick during a global pandemic.
You get perspective.
While all the schools in Pennsylvania are closed for at least the next two weeks to help stop the spread of COVID-19 (colloquially known as the Coronavirus), I self-quarantined a day early.
No, I don’t think I have the virus, but I’m not taking any chances.
Still, sitting here at my laptop with a steaming mug of tea, I’m filled with optimism.
My symptoms don’t match those of the virus – no fever, no dry cough, no difficulty breathing, no runny nose or sore throat. I just sneeze occasionally, have an intermittent wet cough and feel a bone deep fatigue.
Probably not the culprit sending the world into shutdown mode. But best to rest up anyway.
My last class was a rough one – 7th graders running around the room with half written poetry demanding instruction, guidance, reassurance. My morning 8th CONTINUE READING: Public Schools Can Recover from the COVID-19 Quarantine by Skipping High Stakes Tests | gadflyonthewallblog