Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, September 9, 2013

9-9-13 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:

Ferlazzo200(1)




Infographic: “International Literacy Data”
I’m adding this infographic to The Best Resources For World Literacy Day: by ElkanoData. Explore more infographics like this one on the web’s largest information design community – Visually.
Google+ Joins Facebook In Letting You Embed Posts
A few weeks ago, I wrote about Facebook making all posts there embeddable elsewhere and how that was a nice feature for those of us with blogs. , Google+ has followed them, now making all Google+ posts embeddable. I’ve embedded an example below, and you can read more about it at TechCrunch and ReadWriteWeb. I’m adding this info to The Best Resources For Learning What Google+ Is All About.

Infographic: “English Learners In The United States”
Here’s a nice infographic from Sarah Sparks at Education Week: English-learners in the United States | Infographics


Video: “Syria: What’s Behind the Conflict”
Here’s a short video from The Associated Press. I’m adding it to The Best Resources For Learning About What’s Happening In Syria:

“The Best Resources For Talking To Parents About The Common Core Standards”
I’m no big fan of the Common Core Standards, but they are a reality for most of us. If teachers are ever in situations where they have to explain them to parents, or if there are parents who want to understand more about them. So, if you’re interested, I’ve just posted The Best Resources For Talking To Parents About The Common Core Standards over at my other blog, Engaging Parents in School.

A Collection Of Recent Infographics & Interactives
Here’s a mix of various recent infographics and interactives: This Interactive Map Compares the New York City of 1836 to Today is from Smithsonian Magazine. The Pew Center has a ton of infographics on a wide range of topics, including Internet usage and American reading habits. And you can see all of them here. Here’s an interactive map showing how the Yosemite Fire spread. I’m adding it to The Be
My NY Times Post On Teaching 9/11
My latest New York Times post includes 9/11 teaching ideas and a student interactive quiz for English Language Learners. You can also see all my past Times’ posts here.

YESTERDAY

Around The Web In ESL/EFL/ELL
I’ve started a somewhat regular feature where I share a few posts and resources from around the Web related to ESL/EFL or to language in general that have caught my attention: States May Move Closer to Uniform Way of Identifying ELLs is by Lesli Maxwell at Education Week. Common Assessment Group Launches Spanish Webpage is by Lesli Maxwell at Ed Week. I’m adding it to The Best Resources For Le


Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:  I'm Larry Ferlazzo and here you will catch me talking about websites that will help you teach ELL, ESL and EFL!“Teachers Need To Behave Like Johnny Appleseeds”: An Interview With Daniel Coyle“Teachers Need To Behave Like Johnny Appleseeds”: An Interview With Daniel Coyle is my new post over at Education Week Teacher. I’m a