Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The education competition myth | eSchool News

Viewpoint: The education competition myth | eSchool News:

Viewpoint: The education competition myth

Most of the fundamental conditions of capitalism don't exist in the world of public education, the author asserts..

I received lots of feedback from myeSchool News article last year, “Viewpoint: Why education is not like business,” which postulated there was a fundamental fallacy in viewing the world of public education through the lens of normal business paradigms.

An overwhelming number of the comments I received were positive and supportive (and gave additional examples of such fallacy), but a few folks thought I was just perpetuating the problem of government being resistant to change, serving its own interests rather than those of the public, and apologizing for a lack of innovation. As I mentioned in that article, I’m a strong believer in capitalism