Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Making It Real…and Making a Difference! « Cooperative Catalyst

Making It Real…and Making a Difference! « Cooperative Catalyst:

Making It Real…and Making a Difference!

Why did any of us go into education? I would suspect that for many of us it was all about making a difference in the world…the thought of making learning irresistible to kids and having the opportunity to change a life through inciting a love of learning certainly enticed me to the field. I’m in my 38th year of working with kids–and I realized how long that is when I was reading @RyanBretag‘s blog this morning and his bio says he’s been in education for 10 years. (I think I’ve probably been teaching longer than he’s been alive!) With his wisdom, I would have thought he had taught much longer. This morning, I was reading/learning about transliteracy from his blog while also having a conversation with @wcarozza. Bill tweeted

And I remembered a time when my 5th graders were reading Among the Hidden, a dystopian novel set in America’s future when third children are forbidden by law. As I told Bill on Twitter, one of my kids spoke up,