Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Daily Kos: thoughts of no particularly significance

Daily Kos: thoughts of no particularly significance:

thoughts of no particularly significance

Today is the 3rd of my 12 days of winter break. This afternoon I will finish grading/correcting 170+ student papers, lay out my plans for the 1st week back, then be free of school responsibilities for the final 9 days. Meanwhile I will be writing one book review a day starting yesterday, for a total of 7. I am reading the last of the books I will review now, the new one by Thomas Franks, Pity the Billionaire - it's nice - and saves money - when the publisher asks you if you want to review a book :-). That one will be posted here, while several of those on education will be posted elsewhere.

It is a Saturday morning, a time when it is normal for me to step back and reflect on the world and my role in it. It is, of course, also Christmas eve day, a time when many are going more than slightly crazy as the attempt to finish up their preparations. That includes my beloved spouse, who after early evening Church services will head North to be with her family, while this year I remain behind, somewhat in solitude except for the five cats.

Tomorrow will probably be a day of serious meditation, but the process begins now. If you are curious about the workings of my mind, or any perceptions or observations I might decide to share, feel free to continue beneath the squiggle. If not, thanks for taking a glance at my bloviations, and be sure in the midst of your preparations to keep some time for yourself.

And now, onward to the reflections.