Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Why I Marched at Occupy Orlando: To Educate about Education Reform #ows

What Happened to My Grade Book?: Why I Marched at Occupy Orlando: To Educate about Education Reform:

Why I Marched at Occupy Orlando: To Educate about Education Reform

My youngest daughter and I went to the Occupy Orlando March on Saturday, October 15th.
I brought with us two signs. One said, "Learning is a quest, an adventure, and exploration, never a race." This is in response to the latest efforts of Secretary Arne Duncan and his Race to the Top Education Reform. The other says, "No Child Left Behind has left No Shareholder behind at MacGraw Hill and Pearson.

Simply put, we are on the wrong road with education reform. It is a road benefiting corporations greatly while limiting student learning. All reform efforts since No Child Left Behind have revolved around high-stakes assessment results. These assessments were created because of standards-based reform efforts. The great