Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Daily Kos: 3 paragraphs worth reading

Daily Kos: 3 paragraphs worth reading:

3 paragraphs worth reading

are from Time to leave 9/11 behind by E. J Dionne in today's Washington Post. Before I get to them, let me note the final sentence of his 1st paragraph. After telling us that many of the lessons we learned from that tragic day 10 years ago were wrong, he writes "The last decade was a detour that left our nation weaker, more divided and less certain of itself."

I was very much struck by his final three paragraphs, which I will quote without interruption before I offer my thoughts below the fold.


A 9/11 hero's epic love is brought to life in opera

My wife informed me of this Newark Star Ledger story about an opera that premiered this week in San Francisco. It is based on the book by James B. Stewart titled Heart of a Soldier: A Story of Love, Heroism, and September 11th and is titled simply enough "Heart of a Soldier."

Allow me to quote the beginning of the story:

SAN FRANCISCO — Act 2, Scene 6: Just before his morning commute from Morristown to the World Trade Center, a man wraps his wife in his arms. He wears work clothes and she wears a bathrobe as they practice the tango. An orchestra’s angular rhythms match the swivel of their hips.

"Must you leave, when September gives us such a sky?" she sings beseechingly, in a plush


Why Environmental Policies Don't Kill Jobs - in FORBES!!!

I quote from this Fortune Magazine piece by contributor Mindy Lubber.

Clean policies not only offer necessary protections, they stimulate jobs.

Quite simply, the naysayers are wrong on clean tech potential—and here’s why:

From Scotland to Shanghai to Sao Paolo, the world is moving decisively toward a clean technology


another ordinary day of national and global gluttony

I was looking back at what I had written on previous anniversaries of 9/11. 4 years ago I wrote on that day, but did not post it until the next morning. It was in reaction to a column written by Derrick Jackson. As I reread it this evening I found much of what I wrote still relevant, so I decided that I would repost it now, before the actual anniversary. I will not be offended if you choose to ignore it. I hope it speaks to at least some.

SIX YEARS after Sept. 11, America has yet to turn somber remembrance into sober reflection.

Yesterday, we rightfully condemned the terrorists who killed nearly 3,000 of us and praised the