Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Daily Kos: Why?

Daily Kos: Why?:

Why?



 Sometimes I think about certain things I perceive or encounter that upset me and ask that simply question -
Why?
Therein  begins a process of expanding my understanding, and thus my humanity.
In December of 1956 in the Miami airport I saw my first whites only sign and asked my mother
Why?
From that came awareness, that was honed the following Fall with the events at Central High School in Little Rock, that led to my own involvement with civil rights issues, that led my having the occasion to remember my participation 50 years ago in the event we commemorate this month, here in DC.
As a person who in a 20 year career in data processing often had to move to the computer things previously done by hand, there was one question that was critical to my understanding -