I've poured myself a glass of wine to celebrate and mourn this, my 551st and final column.

As many of you may know, the Bay Area News Group soon will consolidate most of its newspapers; since my column has appeared in but two them, it was a foregone conclusion that I, as well as other columnists/journalists, would be let go.

Fortunately, I've matured a bit since I first started writing this column in 1991.

I've learned that, while it's important to grieve, it's crucial as well to accept stoically how all things must pass and to be grateful for what has been (the older I get, the more Buddhist I become).

I am very grateful for this column. It's been cathartic for me (and Lord knows, I can get very emotional about education), a tremendous challenge (one I never imagined I could meet), a source of pride (sometimes inordinately so, I suppose), and, above all, a chance to tell the vital story of students, teachers and schools -- one laden with mirth and pathos, grace and rage, triumph and tragedy.

So I hope the Muses -- or perhaps this glass of wine -- will grant me some special inspiration tonight.