Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, September 9, 2011

Daily Kos: watching the speech as a teacher - and more

Daily Kos: watching the speech as a teacher - and more:

watching the speech as a teacher - and more

I had heard that there would be a good deal about education in the speech. Had I any doubts, a quick look at the White House website indicated that education would be a key part - among the four staffers made available for the discussion afterwards was Roberto Rodrigues, a key assistant on education. And then I had an email asking if I wanted to talk with Dennis Van Roekel of the National Education Association shortly after the speech. Clearly the NEA believed the speech would address key issues on education. And it did.

Below the fold I will examine the two key aspects of the speech that specifically addressed education. I will offer my reaction both to those and to the other parts of the speech.

I will share some of what I heard from others who watched the speech - my spouse (who watched with me), some congressional electives, some staffers, etc.

I invite you to keep reading.