Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, January 22, 2012

What Happens When Teacher Voices Depend on Foundations' Choices? - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher

What Happens When Teacher Voices Depend on Foundations' Choices? - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher:

What Happens When Teacher Voices Depend on Foundations' Choices?

Ten days ago, I shared a guest post authored by Kelly Flynn, Teachers Hold the Key. They Always Have. This morning it received the following comment:


While I wholeheartedly agree with Ms. Flynn that teachers need to become more aware and involved in the reform strategies that are shaping our profession, I wonder what the best method for involving teachers should be. I belong to a group called the Denver New Millennium Initiative. We are a varied collection of voices of teachers who have 3-30 years of experience in K-12 schools in the Denver metro area. Though we have many differences in regards to our backgrounds and affiliations, we share a desire to be active members of the educational policy sphere. Where I think I am at odds with Ms. Flynn is that we couldn't do all that we have been able to do without the financial support of various foundations. Does this mean that we are less effective? I certainly hope not. We strive to be an organization that empowers teachers to have a voice in the policy sphere,