Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, March 14, 2020

With A Brooklyn Accent: An Old Dog Learning New Tricks- My Transition to On Line Teaching.

With A Brooklyn Accent: An Old Dog Learning New Tricks- My Transition to On Line Teaching.

An Old Dog Learning New Tricks- My Transition to On Line Teaching.


I am a 73 year old professor of African American studies and History at Fordham University who has been teaching for 49 years, and whose main lecture course, From Rock and Roll to Hip Hop was written up as one of the most popular college courses in New York City. The transition to on line learning has been difficult and exhausting. I think it was successful, but to do it in a way that captured the atmosphere in my classes, I have to work three times as hard as I normally do. The reason for the difficulty is that is difficult to replace my extremely "hands on" teaching methods. Not only do I play music videos in my classes, I dance with my students, have regular guest speakers, and periodically bring in pizza, wings and other tasty food items. Although my classes require students to do a lot of reading and write long take home exams and term papers, students perceive them as an adventure with an eccentric professor where you never know what is going to happen. How do you duplicate THAT on line?
Capturing the energy and spontaneity of my class experience, for me, was as important as making sure the content was there. In terms of content, I made sure they understood the material I was trying to get across by writing up formal lectures for each class CONTINUE READING: With A Brooklyn Accent: An Old Dog Learning New Tricks- My Transition to On Line Teaching.