Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, March 26, 2020

Searching for Normalcy in a Chaotic World: Teaching, Learning and Living at a Distance | Ed In The Apple

Searching for Normalcy in a Chaotic World: Teaching, Learning and Living at a Distance | Ed In The Apple

Searching for Normalcy in a Chaotic World: Teaching, Learning and Living at a Distance



We have routines, our early morning ablutions, our route to work, shopping, job responsibilities, family responsibilities, now, remote working, remote interactions, and for children the abnormality is unsettling.
Being cooped up in an apartment, not being able to visit friends, not being able to interact with my teachers, “I feel like I’m being punished.”
From a teacher’s perspective: how do I connect with my kids, how can my “teaching” be engaging?  I can’t look over Juan’s shoulder and whisper, “…try that again … how did you get that answer?” You can’t see that light bulb going off, “Oh, yes, I see now,” you can’t give a thumbs up at just the right time, or, a frown.
Is Maria drifting off, is her attention wandering, I don’t know.
Remote learning is remote, it’s far away and it lacks the emotional connection.
The standardized grades 3 – 8 tests are gone, no more test prep, you can follow the curriculum: Is there curriculum to follow? Or, are we talking about the CONTINUE READING: Searching for Normalcy in a Chaotic World: Teaching, Learning and Living at a Distance | Ed In The Apple