Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, May 18, 2019

Jackie Goldberg: Why I Love This Woman! | Diane Ravitch's blog

Jackie Goldberg: Why I Love This Woman! | Diane Ravitch's blog

Jackie Goldberg: Why I Love This Woman!


Capital & Main interviewed Jackie Goldberg about her views, her vision, her hopes for the future. My heart sang and my brain hummed as I read her inspiring words.  
Reading Jackie’s words was like eating comfort food. I kept saying to myself, “Yes! Yes! Yes!”
Read the interview and you will see what I mean.
Jackie knows we are in the middle of a war to save public education. She knows that there is big money determined to kill it. She knows that the hope for the future of our democracy depends in having a well-funded public school system that provides genuine opportunity to all children.
And she is prepared to go to the mat, in Los Angeles and in Sacramento, to get the funding that public schools need and to get the financial accountability that charter schools need.
I am reminded of the first time I met Jackie. It was December 6, 2018. I had heard about her for years as an iconic figure but our paths had never crossed.
Over the past several years, the billionaires were buying seats on the LAUSD and things were looking bleak. I kept hearing about this dynamo Jackie Goldberg, the only one who could turn things around. She was the Cy Young pitcher in the bullpen, the one held in reserve until the ninth inning.
Last December, I went to Los Angeles to receive an CONTINUE READING: Jackie Goldberg: Why I Love This Woman! | Diane Ravitch's blog