Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, January 17, 2016

High Stakes Testing Doesn’t Protect Civil Rights – It Violates Them | gadflyonthewallblog

High Stakes Testing Doesn’t Protect Civil Rights – It Violates Them | gadflyonthewallblog:

High Stakes Testing Doesn’t Protect Civil Rights – It Violates Them

martin-luther-king-jr-small


“Daddy, I know who that is!”
“Who is it?”
“That’s Martin Luther King.”
“That’s right, Baby! Who was he?”
“We saw a movie about him today in school. He had a dream.”
Thus began a fascinating conversation I had with my seven-year-old daughter a few days ago.
I had been going through her book bag and found a picture of Dr. King blazoned above an article about his life.
“He wanted everyone to be nice to each other,” she said.
I laughed. My first grade scholar isn’t that far off.
“He’s one of my heroes,” I said. “He means a lot to me.”
“That’s silly,” she said. “He doesn’t have any super powers.”
Before I could reply, her attention shifted to her stuffed Yoshi doll. She began to play.
One of the best things about being a parent is getting to see the world anew through High Stakes Testing Doesn’t Protect Civil Rights – It Violates Them | gadflyonthewallblog: