Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, January 15, 2016

Alabama Teacher of the Year, Ann Marie Corgill: Reflecting and Dreaming | deutsch29

Alabama Teacher of the Year, Ann Marie Corgill: Reflecting and Dreaming | deutsch29:

Alabama Teacher of the Year, Ann Marie Corgill: Reflecting and Dreaming

Ann Marie Corgill 9
 Ann Marie Corgill


On October 30, 2015, Alabama Teacher of the Year Ann Marie Corgill suddenly resigned from her teaching position.



 There is a lot to her story.

On November 20, 2015, I traveled to Birmingham, Alabama, to learn of the details behind Corgill’s resignation, and then some. She graciously allowed me to interview her for over four hours.
I produced a series of five posts based upon our conversation:
  • Part I: Corgill’s resignation hits the media;
  • Part II: Events leading to Corgill’s resignation;
  • Part III: Corgill becomes Alabama Teacher of the Year;
  • Part IV: Corgill’s years in New York, and
  • Part V: Corgill’s encounters with professional bullying.
Even though Part V was the end of my series, I wanted to offer Ann Marie the opportunity to have the final word. So, I invited her to both reflect on my series and discuss her future plans.
The remainder of this post is Ann Marie’s eloquent and detailed response.
***
Dear Readers,
My name is Ann Marie Corgill, and I have taught and learned from children in grades one through six since August of 1994. I know for a fact that my purpose on Earth is Alabama Teacher of the Year, Ann Marie Corgill: Reflecting and Dreaming | deutsch29: