Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

7-30-14 Ed Notes Online

Ed Notes Online:




Moaning Mona and Campbell Brown Tenure Suits: An Attack on Special Ed Students
Less than a week after I received the Letter of Possible Discontinuance I received an updated package, which now stated my license could possibly be terminated. Because I voiced concern for the needs of my students I am being dealt a difficult card and an ultimatum.  I am alarmed and concerned for my future as an educator.  As I mentioned earlier, this is where I see myself until retirement, in a

Daily Howler Takes down Recent Ivy League Grad Ed Journalists
Impressive diplomas to the side, have you ever seen these new and slightly older kids challenge the prevailing theme about our floundering public schools? Have you ever seen them push back against this ubiquitous, billionaire-favored theme with the most elementary statistical work?.... People from the finest schools putter around on the public schools beat, failing to identify the groaning conflic


MORE Caucus Press Release: Teacher Tenure is Good for Students
By eliminating teacher tenure, we risk further disconnecting students and teachers, and make it harder for them to have transformational dialogue about what actually needs to be done in our classrooms to further the growth of students... Primi Akhtar (2014 graduate of Queens Metropolitan High School, valedictorian) Real parents and students as opposed to astroturf creations  support tenure. Primi
MORE Summer Series Today: Life Under the New UFT Contract
I can't make this today - taking soon to be demised Rockaway ferry into city for matinee - but this is only a first shot at life under the new contract. How about the health care cost savings?http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/30/nyregion/de-blasios-plans-to-save-on-worker-health-costs-come-into-focus.html?ref=nyregion&_r=0 Life Under The New UFT Contractby morecaucusnyc The Social Justice
7-29-14 Ed Notes Online
Ed Notes Online: A Parent/Filmmaker Comments on Ravitch and UnionsHow is it possible that  the Leadership of Teachers Unions maintains this destructive control of the profession?  And how can that control be altered and in what ways, without destroying the Unions altogether.  .....parent perception is predominantly that the Unions speak for and represent the attitudes of teachers.... If the Unions