Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

6-25-14 Schools Matter

Schools Matter:






Cheatham & Robertson County School Boards Says No to Charters, 5-0
from the Tennessean:The Cheatham County School Board rejected an application on Tuesday for a proposed charter school.The board voted 5-0 to deny the application for Cumberland Academy. Board member Willy Johnson was absent.Supporters of the school plan to appeal the decision to the board. They have 15 days to make the appeal.“We still feel empowered and committed to our mission. We look forward t


Refuse All the Tests 2014-15
A clip from Peg Robertson:. . . .I am keeping it very simple for the 2014-2015 school year. I have seen the chaos.  I have been knocked down many times. And as a result,  I have been given the opportunity to see what works and what doesn't work.  I get that we all have a role to play, so I am not knocking anyone who chooses a different route. But I'll just say this, refuse the mandates that have b

Houston KIPPsters Blow Off Steam by Hanging Classmate

From Fox affiliate in Houston:By Alexander Supgul, Digital Content Manager - bioOn May 20 during recess at KIPP Academy, David Rodriguez says he quite nearly strangled to death."I thought I was going to die and I was not going to see my Mom, my Dad and my sister," said Rodriguez.David's mother, Zulma Rodriguez, insists her 3rd grader was persuaded by classmates to put a string around his
6-24-14 Schools Matter
Schools Matter: NJ Legislature Waking Up to Damage of Common Core and High Stakes TestingThis didn't happen by osmosis. It happened because parents, teachers, administrators and citizens in New Jersey have been lobbying their local representatives to end the damage being done to their children by high stakes testing that is abusive and punitive for teachers, schools and communities.The people of N