Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, April 26, 2014

4-26-14 Daily Kos: Dear President and Mrs. Obama, + Charles M. Blow responds to Cliven Bundy

Charles M. Blow responds to Cliven Bundy:






Dear President and Mrs. Obama,
I know how caring you are about your wonderful daughters. You have chosen to send them to wonderful schools, the Lab School at the University of Chicago, and Sidwell Friends in Washington DC. Sidwell Friends is a Quaker School.  As a Quaker myself, I know our approach is to walk gladly across the earth answering that of God in each person we encounter.  I am glad your daughters are learning to tre


Charles M. Blow responds to Cliven Bundy
and gives America a lesson on slavery. His New York Times column is titled A Rancher's Romantic Revisionism except there is nothing romantic either about the real history of slavery or of the distortions some have used. To be sure his readers know the context, Blow quotes Bundy's words.  Those who read this post should already be well aware of them, and besides, I refuse to to repeat that nonsense

APR 23

the hard to decision to leave my current teaching position
I have promised an explanation. I was recruited to teach at North County High School by a former colleague who at the time was the principal, although I knew he was leaving before I signed my contract.  I was primarily recruited to raise the rigor teaching AP US Government & Politics primarily to students in our STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) program.  I knew I was also going
The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest
While the wealthiest Americans are outpacing many of their global peers, a New York Times analysis shows that across the lower- and middle-income tiers, citizens of other advanced countries have received considerably larger raises over the last three decades. That is the 2nd paragraph of this important article in today's New York Times whose title I have borrowed for this post. And as the very nex

APR 21

enjoy
Diane Ravitch shared this on her blog. I thought it might bring some joy to people here.

APR 19

you want to know what's wrong with Common Core?
How about you take a look at ten minutes of video.  David Coleman lead the language arts team for Common Core, even though he has never been a teacher.   Due warning -  Coleman is now head of the College Board, and in that capacity responsible for both the SATs and the Advanced Placement examinations. Thus how he approaches things will carry inordinate weight in shaping education for America's fut