Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Knowledge is Power, but Learning is Personal. | EdCentrist

Knowledge is Power, but Learning is Personal. | EdCentrist:



Knowledge is Power, but Learning is Personal.


Personalized learning allows for each student to learn at his or her own pace. It provides me the opportunity to target instruction and assessment. This model ensures equity in education.
Many of my middle school students have large academic achievement deficits. As a 2014 CityBridge Education Innovation Fellow, I want to give them personalized instruction via online instruction, such as noredink, curriculet, exitticket, etc. They deserve a quality education.
I have the privilege of teaching 7th grade students at a Title 1, economically disadvantaged D.C. Middle School. My students face a great deal of challenges, but are some of the most resilient kids I’ve ever met. Although they are “rough around the edges,” I have a great connection with many of them. In fact, I consider them my children. I often advocate for them, as I firmly believe they deserve a quality education and personalized instruction.
I’ve started to curate various online programs that target specific skills, such as reading comprehension and grammar. I will use blendspace to create a playlist for my students. With this program, and with a 1:1 laptop ratio, usng the 4 Acer Chromebooks I am requesting, my students will be able to work on their own pace. In addition, I will be able to analyze the data on a more specific and meaningful level. Students will use the daily tasks and complete