Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, March 2, 2014

3-2-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:









Around The Web In ESL/EFL/ELL
I’ve started a somewhat regular feature where I share a few posts and resources from around the Web related to ESL/EFL or to language in general that have caught my attention: my favourite ways of revisiting vocabulary is from Teaching English Notes. I’m adding it to The Best Sites Where ELL’s Can Learn Vocabulary. Language Supports for English-Learners Ready for Smarter Balanced Field Tests is f


Infographic: “How the Brain Benefits from Being Bilingual”
Here’s a great infographic I’m adding to The Best Resources For Learning The Advantages To Being Bilingual Or Multilingual. I learned about it through Katie Lepi at Edudemic, who wrote a nice post sharing additional information on the same topic. Explore more infographics like this one on the web’s largest information design community – Visually.
This Week’s “Round-Up” Of Good Posts & Articles On Education Policy
Here are some recent useful posts and articles on education policy issues: Class size matters a lot, research shows is from The Washington Post. I’m adding it to The Best Resources For Learning About How Class Size Does Matter. Why most professional development for teachers is useless is an excellent piece by Valerie Strauss at The Washington Post. It’s a follow-up to my previous post, Video: Tho
The Best Posts & Articles On The Florida Teacher Evaluation Fiasco
The state of Florida has just released the Value-Added Assessment scores of teachers to newspapers. It’s a fiasco. You might also be interested in The Best Resources For Learning About The “Value-Added” Approach Towards Teacher Evaluation. Here are some posts on what’s going on — feel free to suggest others in the comments section: The most meaningless teacher evaluation exercise ever? is a Washi


“My Best Posts On Parent Engagement Over The Past Three Months”
I’ve just posted My Best Posts On Parent Engagement Over The Past Three Months over at my other blog, Engaging Parents In School. Readers might find it useful….


New & Easier Embedding Options For Pinterest
I use Pinterest a lot (you can see my Boards here), and share a lot resources there you won’t find on this blog. I’ve liked the site since it came online, but they’ve been a lesson on the worst ways to handle embedding their content. At first, it was quite easy. But then, they changed the system to a cumbersome two-step process and made all their old embeds defunct — in other words, if you had us


It’s Oscar Night! Here’s A Special Collection Of My Movie-Related “Best” Lists
The Academy Awards are tonight, and I thought it would be a good time to bring together all of my movie-related “Best” lists. But, before I start listing them, I’d like to point out an excellent resource that Edutopia just shared: Oscar Week Special: Seven Teaching Resources on Film Literacy. Now, here are my lists: The Best Places To Learn About (And View Video Clips Of) Teachers In The Movies T

“Mythbusters” Music Video: “It’s Time For Science!”

Check out this fun Mythbusters music video, made by Melody Sheep:


Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Week… 3-1-14 …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EF
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFLLARRY FERLAZZO’S WEBSITES OF THE DAYCalifornia PTA Trying To Bounce Back From Election FiascoThe California PTA made some horrible miscalculations leading to the November, 2012 elections (see California PTA Sets Back Parent Engagement Efforts In State) and, though they have a long way to go, it appears to me they are making s