Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Tell-All from Oakland TFA Teacher: “I didn’t do my research” “Left by Winter Break” | Cloaking Inequity

Tell-All from Oakland TFA Teacher: “I didn’t do my research” “Left by Winter Break” | Cloaking Inequity:

Tell-All from Oakland TFA Teacher: “I didn’t do my research” “Left by Winter Break”

tone-deaf
Here is another tell-all that does not appear in TFA’s glossy brochures or promotion materials. I realize that proponents of TFA will likely argue that these stories from TFA corp members are no different than any other poorly trained first year teacher. But that is the exactly the point isn’t it? Why is TFA perpetuating the revolving door of inexperienced teachers for our nation’s poorest children? Also, another argument could be that these stories (See also Tell-All From A TFA and KIPP Teacher: Unprepared, Isolation, Shame, and Burnout) are isolated examples. But ask yourself the question: Has TFA ever published a story that was not a glowing, glossy perspective of the TFA experience? Here is another tell-all from a former Oakland TFA teacher.
I read your post tell-all and I appreciate your work. I’m sure your inbox will be flooded with responses just like mine, so I just appreciate being able to share my story and suggestions education reformers like TFA. If you do happen to post any of this, please keep it anonymous.
I joined TFA in 2011, fresh out of college, knowing nothing about education or low-income schools and children but a relatively strong awareness of social inequality and community activism. So that is my background – I knew I wanted to dedicate my life to social justice, community-building and politically-oriented service, but I didn’t do my research on what really happens to new TFA teachers.
Summer Institute was not very useful. I constantly felt guilty and isolated, feeling like my students were our guinea pigs. It’s five weeks, and you jump into playing the role of teacher after the first week, for the remaining four. (A – see footnote). I specifically failed at what many educators seem to emphasize the most, “classroom management.” My advisor kept me after class for thirty minutes to make me practice