Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, January 20, 2014

Politically Hyperventillating – redqueeninla

Politically Hyperventillating – redqueeninla:



Politically Hyperventillating

Written by redqueeninla in LAUSD





 I am an LAUSD parent, and I am scared.

They say you have to name your problem, and this is it.  I feel that I am part of an overwhelmingly vast educational institution, that has been usurped by corporate political forces.  And I feel there is no one out there protecting my interests, the educational interests of my children.
This weekend comes the news slipped in below last week’s headlines that the new LAUSD’s Board of Education (BOE) president, Dr Vladovic, has opted to disband the Common Core Technology Project Committee.  Known endearingly as CCTP – an acronym even a mother would have trouble loving – the ponderous name belied a simple purpose:  watch the implications of the new Common Core and its primary, corporate-driven dictat that Technology be brought front and center to K12 education.
Chaired by corporate-interests nemesis Mónica Ratliff, this committee has been highlighting issue upon issue regarding the rollout of a (minimum) $1B technology-equipment purchase. There has been a steady stream ofembarrassing details featuring incompetence, ignorance and corruption