Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, January 4, 2014

All Week 1-4-14 @ THE CHALK FACE

@ THE CHALK FACE knows SCHOOLS MATTER
All Week @ THE CHALK FACE 






Ripley’s Botched Attack on Ravitch: A Euro Is Not a Dollar
In December 2011, writer Amanda Ripley published a post in which she tried hard to discredit education historian Diane Ravitch’s claim that the US poverty level is a factor in the 2009 PISA rankings. Even though Ripley’s piece is over two years old, I only read it yesterday. In her smug attempt to discredit Ravitch’s interpretation of […]
A note from an administrator on new bathroom policies. Hilarity.
I give it to you in all its glory. And I will emphasize what particular gem, whereby students checking in and out of the bathroom helps meet a common core standard (or CCS). Who knew that every thing I do on a daily basis, from taking a leak to brushing my teeth, could be applied […]
Why Aren't Prep Schools Following Corporate Reforms?
Reblogged from Diane Ravitch's blog: This is a terrific article about the elite prep schools and the fact that they do not follow the "reforms" that are now pushed by the U.S. Department of Education, the Gates Foundation, the Broad Foundation, and other corporate reformers. Here are some quotes from the article: Go ahead and […]


GUEST no more. Welcome John Kuhn to our lineup!
Revered Superintendent John Kuhn joined our erudite rabble here At the Chalk Face. Let us all welcome him. Check out his author page here and we look forward to JOHN KUHN: Empowering Educators.


Guest Post from @johnkuhntx: Ed Reform’s Atari Problem
My cousin John Michael had the first Atari I ever saw. Not long after, my cousin Philip got one. I went to their houses every chance I got, and while I was there I hogged their video game machines as much as I could. I still remember the spongy feel and new plastic smell of […]


CCSS: The Black Hole of Education
Stop me if you’ve heard this one before: the Common Core is “Obamacore.” No? If you haven’t, then you’ve been living under a rock, somewhere. Yes, the infamous Common Core State Standards (CCSS) has drawn criticism from the political left, and the right. It’s fascinating to witness both sides of the political spectrum unite against […]

YESTERDAY

Beware of Data Sharing Cheerleaders Offering Webinars
Perhaps the most sobering component of the privatization push is its unprecedented demand for data collection (data “mining”) on American students. Data mining is not just an American issue. However, on the American front, two education activists have been at the forefront of the fight against this mammoth student data collection: Louisiana’s Jason France (here’s a great […]
Constantly saying teachers are “poor” kind of pisses me off. I think we should stop it.
I get it. We all get it. Relative to other careers with similar education credentials, teachers are underpaid, given that many have graduate degrees. To wit: The average salary for full-time public school teachers in 2010–11 was $56,069 in current dollars (i.e. dollars that are not adjusted for inflation). In constant (inflation-adjusted) dollars, the average […]
@johnkuhntx: The Tyranny of the Datum
By John Kuhn Data is a big deal. A great deal of innovation is happening right now in the field of data collection, storage, and management in the field of education. There are some well-documented fears among parents and teachers regarding these trends. Who will control the data? How will the data be used? Will […]
@ArneDuncan is suzerain to the vassals
The Washington Post (aka Valerie Strauss) reported just days ago that the Secretary of Education intervened in choice of chancellor of NYC schools, discouraging choice of MD Supe Josh Starr. How dare Duncan, yes? Interfering in local education matters. My analysis? NYC is not merely a local education matter. This isn’t Albuquerque. This is New […]
Guest Post: Here’s to a Progressive/Conservative Movement to Take Back Our Schools
We met the other day in the kitchen of a retired teacher. We were quite the mix of people, with a far right conservative and a far left progressive; long­time retired teachers, and currently working teachers; elementary teachers, high school teachers and a university teacher. Despite our differences, we all came together out of a […]
The Observation Gap?
The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) has become the black hole of education discussions or “debates.” In fact, I’d submit that we spend far too much time and energy arguing for, or against, the CCSS that we’re neglecting other critical aspects of our profession. Case in point: the role classroom observations serve in providing teachers […]
Conditions of Teaching Are Conditions of Learning: On Students
Conditions of Teaching Are Conditions of Learning: On Students. via Conditions of Teaching Are Conditions of Learning: On Students.

JAN 02

Teaser trailer for United Opt Out’s annual spring event #optout
Embed and share widely. UOO takes their fight to Denver, CO this year, March 28th to 30th, 2014. Check their website over the coming months for updates and details. In the past two years, UOO’s events in Washington, DC attracted grassroots activists and prominent figures nationwide. They’ve kindled uprisings and awareness in numerous communities. If […]
Classroom Teaching Experience and Whose Voice Matters
Classroom Teaching Experience and Whose Voice Matters. via Classroom Teaching Experience and Whose Voice Matters.
@johnkuhntx Teaching: The Card Game
By John Kuhn In the spirit of “War” and “Old Maid,” I present a card game called “Teaching.” (Note: there is something inherently icky about symbolizing students with numbers or, in this case, playing cards. I didn’t create this game to imply that students are merely numbers or that some students are “worth more” than […]
@susanoha has it right on the money about #highered and #teacherprep
Some places are cheaper than others. Myself or any colleague I’ve ever known was ever offered $30K for a book chapter. But I wonder what the price would be to sell your integrity as an academic. Considering what education professors get paid, integrity might come cheap. A publication credit and a top-tier journal might be […]

JAN 01

2014: The Year of Common Ground or Common Argument?
Hopefully, 2014 will be the year we find more common ground in education policy, and not entrenched special interests and protracted arguments. Although constructive critiques are healthy, the 24/7 all-you-can-tweet rants against CCSS, without offering practical solutions, is falling on deaf ears, at best. At worst, it’s creating an unproductive narrative that is moving any, […]
Tri State/EQuIP Rubric
Reblogged from An Antique Teacher: http://www.engageny.org/resource/tri-state-quality-review-rubric-and-rating-process So, this little gem is finally making its way to my school, and I can't contain my excitement!! Finally, all those folks at Achieve (http://www.achieve.org/contributors) have developed a rubric to let me know how well my lesson planning aligns to the "shifts and rigor of the
“A Question of Power”—Of Accountability and Teaching by Numbers
\”A Question of Power\”—Of Accountability and Teaching by Numbers. via “A Question of Power”—Of Accountability and Teaching by Numbers.
My New Year’s Post
When I awoke on December 31st, I planned to write my New Year’s post. However, AFT’s 10 Myths rattled my cage, so I spent the better part of the day writing my response. For me, 2013 has been a remarkable year. How my life has changed, and much of it due to this blog. I attended college for […]

DEC 31 2013

AFT’s 10 Myths: Unyielding Devotion to the Common Core
In my hands I am holding the latest issue of the American Federation of Teachers (AFT) quarterly publication, American Educator. It is open to page 43, Tools for Teachers: 10 Myths About the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). The piece was written by AFT’s Educational Issues Department. Their position is one of unreserved support for CCSS. Of course. I […]
Father Guido Sarducci’s 5-Minute Charter School?
For my last 2013 post, I’m opting to rely on comedy. Given the rapid growth of charter schools, I can’t help but wonder what Father Guido Sarducci would propose? Perhaps, the “5-Minute University” business model can branch out and become the 5-Minute Charter School? Sounds like a solid business model. Any investors interested in chartering […]
#Commoncore opponents, a word please.
In recent weeks, I’ve seen a surge in Common Core opposition that is focused on the micro-examination of individual classroom assignments. Let me be clear at the outset: I oppose the Common Core State Standards. We’re clear on that, correct? All right. I’ve observed some interactions on a Facebook page called “Inappropriate Common Core Lessons.” the […]
Why Is Maryland taking Florida’s Place as PARCC Henchman?
By Morna McDermott http://www.educationalchemy Set out runnin’ but I take my time, a friend of the devil is a friend of mine -Grateful Dead- Is this any way to start off a new year? Are you scratching you head wondering…wondering why it is that Maryland has decided to become the PARCC fiscal agent? First of all, what […]
@johnkuhntx guest post: Five New Years Resolutions for Public Education Supporters
By: John Kuhn 2013 was a pivotal year for parents, teachers and students who support a free public education for American children. In California, Governor Jerry Brown refused to over-test the state’s students to satisfy bureaucratic demands for data, even in the face of federal threats to withhold Title 1 education funding. In Seattle, Jesse Hagopian and […]
Maryland Takes Florida’s Place-Why?
Post by Morna McDermott- http://www.educationalchemy.com Set out runnin’ but I take my time, a friend of the devil is a friend of mine -Grateful Dead- Is this any way to start off a new year? Are you scratching you head wondering…wondering why it is that Maryland has decided to become the PARCC fiscal agent? First of all, […]
Gary Rubinstein on TFA and CC: Plus Predictions for 2014 and 2024!
In his Open Letters To ‘B-List’ Reformers I Know. Part 2: Elisa Villanueva-Beard and Matt Kramer, Gary Rubinstein is primarily confronting the new leadership at Teach for America—and I recommend your reading the entire post—but I want to highlight what I think is a very succinct and accurate challenge to supporting Common Core: [click to enlarge] Rubinstein […]

DEC 30 2013

“They ask only opportunity”: Helen Keller and Those Who Will Not See
\”They ask only opportunity\”: Helen Keller and Those Who Will Not See. via “They ask only opportunity”: Helen Keller and Those Who Will Not See.

DEC 29 2013

DCPS IMPACT Error? Thoughts from one of the “forty-four.”
As a DCPS teacher, I was one of the “forty-four” whose evaluations needed “adjustment.” Although I’m not assigned to Group 1, which is the “group” associated with standardized test scores, my Teaching and Learning Framework (TLF) component needed re-calculation. As I prepared for the holiday break, I received the following email: Note: Final rating (“category”) […]
We must not simply add water to the stream. More is expected of us.
I recently read this article from the Atlantic on the constant “stream” of information online. Some of it meaningful, most of it not.  From the Atlantic: The necessity of nowness plus the professionalization of content production for the stream means that there are thousands and thousands of people churning out more crap than can possibly […]
A Reminder: “The Children Do Notice”
A Reminder: \”The Children Do Notice\”. via A Reminder: “The Children Do Notice”.
Did The American Federation of Teachers Really Do This???
Last month, Boston voters elected a new Mayor, arguably with a little help from a mysterious political action committee that dumped $480,000 into the campaign during its final days. One Boston confirmed to the Boston Globe this week that the American Federation of Teachers funded the group’s efforts to swing the race in favor of Mayor-elect Marty […]
AlterNet 2013
AlterNet 2013. via AlterNet 2013.

DEC 28 2013

NGA “Corporate Fellows”: Providing Governors Ideas That Work
For four of the five years that I taught in Northwestern Georgia, I taught at an alternative school. Every time I received a new student, it meant that the student had been expelled from a district public school. I had a student who built a bomb and discharged it on a principal’s lawn.  I had […]