Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, January 13, 2014

1-13-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:




Video On Grit: “Trust Your Power”
Here’s a great video I’m adding to The Best Video Clips Demonstrating “Grit”:
From The Archives: “Merit pay and ‘loss aversion:’ Nonsense studies”
I’ve recently re-started an effort I’ve tried to do previously by regularly highlighting previous posts and articles I’ve shared in previous years that I think might be worth a second look. Today, I’d like to highlight a piece I wrote for The Washington Post about some appalling research done on students and teacher. It’s titled Merit pay and ‘loss aversion:’ Nonsense studies. Here’s how I ended i
My New BAM! Radio Show Is On The Air & First Episode Is On “Flipping” Classrooms
I’ve just begun a weekly ten minute BAM! Radio Network podcast where I interview a couple of guests who have written responses to the “question-of-the-week” at my Education Week Teacher advice column. You can listen to the first show, which is on “flipping” classrooms, with at the BAM! site or download it (and subscribe for free) on iTunes. I interview guests Jon Bergman and Troy Cockrum about t



My Latest NY Times Post: Learning Prepositions & Using Badly Translated Signs For Language Learning
My latest New York Times post for English Language Learners is on prepositions AND language-learning with badly translated signs. It includes a student interactive and teaching ideas. You might also be interested in The Best Collections Of Funny Signs (For Use In English Classes). You can see all my previous NY Times posts here.

YESTERDAY

From The Archives: “Teacher Eyes on the Wrong Prize?”
I’ve recently re-started an effort I’ve tried to do previously by regularly highlighting previous posts and articles I’ve shared in previous years that I think might be worth a second look. Today, I’d like to revisit an article I wrote for Education Week Teacher over three years ago. It’s titled Teacher Eyes on the Wrong Prize? Here’s an excerpt:
Resources From All My Blogs
In addition to this blog, I regularly post at several other sites: Engaging Parents In School: Weekly Posts At Classroom Q & A With Larry Ferlazzo: Weekly Posts At The New York Times Learning Network on Teaching English Language Learners: Periodic Posts at Edutopia: All My Class Blogs: Class Blog: Beginner & Intermediate ELD Class Blog: ESL/EFL Student Showcase Class Blog: Intermediate EL
More Resources On Gratitude
Here are new additions to The Best Resources On “Gratitude”: How to Teach Kids to Be Grateful: Give Them Less is from The Atlantic. The Science of Gratitude is from Nautilus. Raising Children With an Attitude of Gratitude is from The Wall Street Journal.

1-12-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: Fun & Useful Video: “ESL Verb English Grammar Vocabulary Rap Song”I’m adding this video to The Best Web Tools For Teaching Irregular Verbs & Verb Tenses — Contribute Your Suggestions!by Larry Ferlazzo / 11min hide  //  saveVideo: “What my beagle does when we’re not home”Here’s another fun video to show English Langu