Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, December 8, 2013

James Baldwin and Writing Through Disaster - The Jose Vilson | The Jose Vilson

James Baldwin and Writing Through Disaster - The Jose Vilson | The Jose Vilson:

James Baldwin and Writing Through Disaster

by JOSE VILSON on DECEMBER 8, 2013
in JOSE
James Baldwin
James Baldwin
On Tuesday, at 7:30am, right before class, I found out my father passed away from my brother. The opaque skies of the early morning didn’t let up all day. My students acted as they usually do: adolescent, chatty, enlightened, irresponsible. My energy, however, didn’t betray me except in the few times they decided to quit on themselves. My tolerance level for their defeatist retorts was next to nil. My reaction to adults in our teacher team meeting didn’t help things.
The few people who knew about my situation kept their distance, but those who didn’t quickly found out through my other colleagues. I felt like I got no break from people.
Under the advisement of a few family members and friends, I took the day off on Wednesday, 
- See more at: http://thejosevilson.com/james-baldwin-writing-disaster/#sthash.ilAVhGeR.dpuf