Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

12-3-13 @ THE CHALK FACE

@ THE CHALK FACE:





Why Are We (Still) Failing Writing Instruction?
Why Are We (Still) Failing Writing Instruction?. via Why Are We (Still) Failing Writing Instruction?.

Sandra Stotsky Responds to My Common Core-Achieve Post
On December 2, 2013, I wrote a post about the role of the governor- and business-run nonprofit, Achieve, Inc., in the creation of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). In my post I also discuss Achieve connections to (now designated) “founding partner” of Student Achievement Partners, Sue Pimentel, and I refer to the College and […]


End Zero-Tolerance Policies: A Reader
End Zero-Tolerance Policies: A Reader. via End Zero-Tolerance Policies: A Reader.


iGradeU: The 7 Superpowers Every Teacher Must Master
Are you a superhero teacher? Well, what about a good teacher with superpowers? Personally speaking, I rather be the latter. Here’s my list of superpowers, which I’m constantly developing. By no means does this imply that I have the magic formula. However, this is a list I use to remind myself that teaching requires constant […]
  
12-2-13 @ The Chalk Face
@ THE CHALK FACE: @slekar dabbles with #edrefrom memes: Take 2.I thought of the  meme above while driving from Madison, WI to Dover, OH for Thanksgiving break.  This image has always represented (for me) the pinnacle of the racist belief that education should “sanitize.”  “Kill the Indian. Save the Man.” There were no thoughts that equated the image above and the modern education reform reference