Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, November 25, 2013

Native American, American Indian or Indian? « MomsRising Blog

Native American, American Indian or Indian? « MomsRising Blog:


"And I told them not to dig for uranium, for if they did, the children would die. They didn't listen, they didn't listen, they didn't listen to me.
And I told them if the children die, there would be no keepers of the land. They didn't listen.
And I told them if they destroy the sky, machines would come and soon destroy the land. They didn't listen...
And I told them if they destroy the land, man would have to move into the sea. They didn't listen...
And I told them if they destroy the sea -- they didn't listen..."
-from the Floyd Red Crow Westerman song "They Didn't Listen"

  mark as read
Balancing the Raven and Eagle
Native American, First People, Alaska Native, Tlingit. All of these words describe me, and none of them describe me. I am a tribal councilwoman, a mother, a daughter, a modern Native woman. I am a fighter, defender, and advocate for my people. As a Native woman, life for me is about balance just like I was taught by my elders. Day and night, Raven and Eagle, there needs to be balance. I currently live in urban Washington, DC – far away from my home in Alaska. Far away, but not far from my heart. Honoring my culture is a daily priority and I am always aware that I am a Native representative to
Native American Month Family Story: My Mother: 5 Foot Tall Super Hero
Most people have heroes. Some wear spandex and wear a cape. Some have super human strength. Mine is 5 foot tall and I call her Mother. I honor my mother for her desire to create the best opportunities for me, my three siblings and 8 grandchildren. My mother is Navajo. She lives on the Navajo nation and recently turned 73. She is born for the Black Streak through the Woods clan, which is symbolically the Bear Clan. Mother has the force and strength of the bear when she is cornered, especially, when she is protecting her cubs. Mother may be a little person in stature but never say “no” to her be
Connecting…
A Q&A with Sarah Howard, MomsRising.org’s Executive/Fundraising Coordinator, as told to MomsRising.org Social Media Fellow Connie K. Ho What is your family’s story? Both of my maternal grandparents had Native American ancestors–Blackfeet on my grandfather’s side of the family and Iroquois on my grandmother’s side.  I remember my grandfather fondly and appreciate the time I shared with him and my grandmother. Though I was curious when growing up, I really didn’t know much at all about my Native American heritage. How do you celebrate your heritage? To celebrate my heritage now, I learn and

TODAY

Native American Day & Columbus
This blog post originally appeared on the National Relief Charities Blog. Living in South Dakota you learn a lot of things. For example, I learned that in 1990, South Dakota was the very first state in the nation to recognize Native American Day instead of Columbus Day — sending a significant message to all. This was done through state legislation by then Governor George S. Mickelson, who declare
“Indians are Persons” Under the Law
This blog post originally appeared on the National Relief Charities Blog. Would you ever question whether American Indians are people?  Of course not… and yet, this was actually argued in a court of law.  It all started with the forced exodus of the Ponca Tribe to Oklahoma, after their homelands were ceded to the Sioux under the Fort Laramie Treaty of 1868, forever changing the course of the Ponc
A Trail of Togetherness for Hopi Elders
This blog post originally appeared on the National Relief Charities Blog. In 1974, the US government re-designated some of Hopi’s land to the Navajo, forcing many Hopi people to abandon their long-time homes, yet another trail of tears. Some of the Hopi resettled in a new community – Yuwehloo Pahki Village (YPV), also known as Spider Mound. Only 24 people live there, including 10 Elders. YPV is e
Native American, American Indian or Indian?
This blog post originally appeared on the National Relief Charities Blog. Recently, I was in Maryland for my father’s 60th birthday. It was the first time in almost a year that my entire immediate family was together. As a souvenir for my two young nephews, I brought them t-shirts from where I work: St. Francis Indian School. After I gave the shirts to my nephews, my father chimed in asking them
Getting to Know Lori Favela
This interview with Lori Favela (Yanton Sioux) originally appeared on the blog Native Voices @ the Autry. What is your favorite thing about playwriting? Playwriting offers me the opportunity to be creative. What is your least favorite thing about playwriting? There are hurdles to overcome with characters, etc., which are challenges, but there’s nothing about the process that I dislike. What is yo
Spotlight on First Look Series: Measure for Measure
This interview with Randy Reinholz (Choctaw) originally appeared on the blog Native Voices @ the Autry. Excitement is in the room as we begin our second First Look Series workshop of the season. Described as “Blazing Saddles meets Shakespeare,” Measure for Measure: A Boarding School Comedy is Native Voices founder and artistic director Randy Reinholz’s adaptation of the William Shakespeare play,
Anger Turned Inside: The Fight For Native Families
This blog post originally appeared on the blog lara (author-blogger). I am honored to take part in the Moms Rising Blog Carnival and bring awareness to “Raising the Voices of Native Americans.”  I wrote a blog post  “Anger Turned Inside: The Fight for Native Families” to coincide with a documentary that aired on Al Jazeera Fault Lines in November. (They are now creating a webpage with some of my