Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, November 22, 2013

Fake and Real Student Voice | Ideas and Thoughts

Fake and Real Student Voice | Ideas and Thoughts:

Fake and Real Student Voice



 Here’s the lastest video educator’s are jacked about:
I like much about this video. I like the message. I like the way it’s shot. I like the girls. What I don’t like is the perception that this is the girl’s invention. It’s not. These girls are likely no more into inventing and making than most girls their age. While I might be able to look past that, and I can, I don’t like the perception that this is authentic as it suggests. Which raises the larger question of authentic student voice.
I remember first being struck by this when this video came out about 6 years ago:
It’s an iteration of Michael Wesch video using college aged students. When I saw the k-12 version it just didn’t sit well with me. The signs the students held seemed to be the language and ideas of adults. I had a hard time thinking