Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, November 17, 2013

11-17-13 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:





“Teachers Should Be Friendly With Students But Not Friends”
Teachers Should Be Friendly With Students But Not Friends is the title of an excerpt that has just been published from my book, Classroom Management Q&As: Expert Strategies for Teaching. It’s been published by Middleweb. The excerpt includes a contribution from Rick Wormeli and my thoughts, too.
The Best Sites For Learning About Italy
Later this week, my ELL Geography class will be finishing up our unit on France by videotaping questions we have for our “sister” English classes in that country. Next on our list is Italy. Here’s a very beginning collection of resources I’ve collected (I hope you’ll suggest more!), and I’ll be adding this post to The Best Geography Sites For Beginning & Intermediate English Language Learners


November’s Infographics & Interactives Galore — Part Three
There are just so many good infographics and interactives out there that I’ve begun a new semi-regular feature called “Infographics & Interactives Galore.” You can see others at A Collection Of “The Best…” Lists On Infographics and by searching “infographics” on this blog. I’ll still be publishing separate posts to individually highlight especially useful infographics and interactives, but you


Second Week Of Twitter Chat On Classroom Management Begins Today — #classmgmtQA
The second and final week of the Twitter Chat on classroom management and student motivation begins today at the hashtag #classmgmtQA. It’s been quite active, and you can check out the Collection Of Tweets From First Week’s Chat On Classroom Management.
New Feature: Videos Of The Week
In yet another effort to get at my backlog of resources to share, I’m starting this new regular feature to share useful videos. I’ll still periodically highlight certain ones on their own, but the rest will be found on this regular post: This video shares some good advice to presenters and to teachers: I’m adding this next embedded video from The NY Times on The Future of Storms to The Best Reso


‘There Is No Such Thing As An Unmotivated Student’
‘There Is No Such Thing As An Unmotivated Student’ is my new post over at Education Week Teacher. Today’s “line-up” of contributors is impressive with guest responses from Cris Tovani, Josh Stumpenhorst and Eric Jensen. It’s the first in a three-part series on the topic.

YESTERDAY

Professor James Heckman Publishes New Paper On “Non-Cognitive Traits”
Thanks to Matthew Di Carlo at The Shanker Blog, today I learned about a new research paper by Nobel-Prize winner James Heckman. It’s called Fostering and Measuring Skills: Interventions That Improve Character and Cognition. It’s a lengthy one. I’ve copied and pasted a few short excerpts that I thought were particularly important. You can see all my previous posts about Professor Heckman’s work he
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Week… 11-16-13 …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EF
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFLLARRY FERLAZZO’S WEBSITES OF THE DAY mark as readThe Best Online Resources About President John F. KennedyThe fiftieth anniversary of President Kennedy’s assassination is coming up next week, and I’ll certainly be making additions to this list. Here’s a start: JFK in Photos is from The Atlantic. Textbooks Reassess Kennedy, Pu