Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Especially Deserving Poor - Bridging Differences - Education Week

The Especially Deserving Poor - Bridging Differences - Education Week:

The Especially Deserving Poor

Dear Deborah,
A healthy debate we've started! I'm not sure we've bridged many differences, though; maybe we should change the blog's name to Bigging Differences.
In that spirit, let me float another provocative but commonsensical idea: We need to do everything we can--in our schools and in our larger social policies--to empower individuals who are working hard to climb the ladder to success. In other words, we need to spur on the strivers.
Let me explain some of my assumptions.
  1. As we've been discussing, I still believe in the promise of upward mobility. I don't buy into the dystopia of some on the left that pictures a future with an eviscerated middle class, opportunities only for the elite, and a vast dependent population. Times are tough now, but economic growth and jobs will return; the American Dream will be back.
  2. But I'm no utopian. Not all children born into poverty are going to make it out by adulthood. Most face powerful disadvantages--dysfunctional families, substance abuse, crime, segregation, broken economies, bad schools, etc.--and not everyone will be able