Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, October 27, 2013

New Orleans SPS score release reveals 69% of students now attend “failing schools” according to Bobby Jindal (compared to 62% in 2005) | Crazy Crawfish's Blog

New Orleans SPS score release reveals 69% of students now attend “failing schools” according to Bobby Jindal (compared to 62% in 2005) | Crazy Crawfish's Blog:

New Orleans SPS score release reveals 69% of students now attend “failing schools” according to Bobby Jindal (compared to 62% in 2005)

Posted on October 27, 2013


Some of you may have seen reports in the Picayune or from Leslie Jacob’s “Educate Now” organization touting an educational resurgence taking place in New Orleans. One of the claims is that only 5% of students are now in “failing” schools. I’ve had a little time to look at her stats and the reporting put out by the State and thought I’d make my own fancy graphs and charts and point out some glaring logic flaws. I will publish my data for you to critique. I don’t have access to all the data, but that Leslie Jacobs can get with her friendly relationship with John White and LDOE, but I can still deduce a few things, and I have been accumulating files from folks who had older reports, that LDOE removed from their website, archived on their local machines.
Let’s examine some of Leslie’s claims before showing you what I’ve found:
Claim 1: Only 5% of students now attend a failing school – down from 62% in