Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

I Always Want To Be A Teacher | toteachornototeach

I Always Want To Be A Teacher | toteachornototeach:

I Always Want To Be A Teacher
by Nick Monzi

Last week, in a meeting with colleagues at my education-based nonprofit, a dedicated volunteer asked me a question that required more thought than I expected.
“How do you continue to learn about and evaluate your work?” she asked. “How are you sure that the change you hope to see in the world is going to be realized?”
One year ago, working predominantly as an educator, this would have been an easy answer for me.
“I look at the students’ eyes”, I would have said. “They show me understanding and engagement, confusion and frustration. They are the key to unveiling the impact that you are having as a teacher.”
I’ve always been a big believer in what Benjamin Zander calls “shining eyes”. They demonstrate commitment to the task at hand. They’re how I know that I am fostering