Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Every Public School Should Be An NYZ: A No Yelling Zone. | Ward 8 DC Teacher

Every Public School Should Be An NYZ: A No Yelling Zone. | Ward 8 DC Teacher:

Every Public School Should Be An NYZ: A No Yelling Zone.

Image
Have you ever worked in a public school where teachers often yelled at students? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen educators yell at students. Now, before you think I’m completely innocent, I can assure you, I’m not. I’ve had several “bad teacher moments” too. However, after a few years of observing my school’s climate and culture, I can’t help but notice how much yelling at students is painfully counterproductive. This may sound obvious, but you’d be surprised how many educators defend the need to yell, and not tell.
Far too many times, I’ve heard minority educators say, “yelling at kids is just part of our culture.” Or. “You have to understand our kids.” Sorry, but as a minority educator and human being, I simply can’t agree. Although I can understand how one’s upbringing helps shape one’s reality,