Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Save Our Schools | On the March to Save and Transform Schools

Save Our Schools | On the March to Save and Transform Schools:

school_closings3


 A Word from the Cripples
By: Siduri Beckman Student, age 15 I’ve got something to say. It won’t take long Just as long as it took you to snatch everything away One fourth of the body is the leg You have crippled us Cursing us to hobble all of our lives. I cannot run cross-country on just one leg. Rip song off of our tongues to find songs are not Velcro but flesh Snap the bows of the violins in case the students could eve
Keeping a Net Beneath Them
By: Glen Brown “Teaching is the greatest act of optimism.” –Colleen Wilcox I open the book and pump three poems into their heads, push a paper ladder against their brains and beg them to climb out of their mind-set of common connectivity and fantasy. But I discover their fear of heights and, of course, I compete with Facebook, Twitter, and some strawberry blonde in a Saran Wrap costume snorkeling
Through The Eyes Of A Test
By: Becca Ritchie Teacher A mere booklet of bright white paper Settles flat, not to be opened…yet. It absorbs the fear as instructions are read and Names are checked and double checked Trepidation rumbles through stomachs like the blasts covering a launch pad Deep breaths are taken Faces express the worry..the fear of how they will do. Will they use the weapon in their hand to fill in my question
Thank You
By: Ashley Leonen Student, age 14 Although on the day of May twenty, two thousand thirteen, My agenda was left empty, I will attempt to write until my very last breath. I’m certain with the label I’ve put upon my forehead That says “Writer” But promises still make me nervous. I hope in spite of the Anxiety and hesitation of mine You’re content with my passion For writing. I hope you’re aware Of t
In the Aftermath of No Child Behind
By: Anonymous Teacher since 1981 I became a teacher to build a better world, a world where people matter. But I’ve lost myself in the maze of NCLB graphite circles going nowhere “a, b, c, d or e, please.” “Write your answers inside the boxes. Don’t stray outside the lines.” Never outside the lines! “A nice straight line, children. Shh! Quiet now. You’re wasting your 5 minute recess! Who wants to