Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

LISTEN TO DIANE RAVITCH 9-18-13 Diane Ravitch's blog | A site to discuss better education for all

Diane Ravitch's blog | A site to discuss better education for all:

Reign of Error Coming Soon (click picture)



My Interview on NPR’s “On Point” Today
I had an online interview today on the national broadcast, NPR’s “On Point.” We had a very good discussion about the state of American education, the false claims of failure, and the solutions I proffer. We were then judged by a young woman whose name I don’t recall who used to work for Michelle Rhee’s The New Teacher Project (TNTP). She went into the familiar “attack the messenger” mode, saying t
I Am Proud of My Alma Mater
I had the good fortune to go to Wellesley College after spending all my K-12 days in the public schools of Houston, Texas. I am a graduate of the class of 1960. I have never been prouder to be a Wellesley alumna than today when I learned that 40% of the faculty signed a petition to dissolve a partnership with Peking University if it fires a courageous professor who supports human rights. I will be

How For-Profit Prisons Rip Off The Public
Media Advisory: September 19, 2013 Contact: Richard Allen Smith / rasmith@inthepublicinterest.org / (202) 327-8435 ** MEDIA ADVISORY ** New Report: Shocking 65 PERCENT of For-Profit Prison Contracts Include “Lockup Quotas” and “Low-Crime Taxes” to Guarantee Profits In the Public Interest report will expose contract language guaranteeing 80-100 percent prison occupancy and forcing taxpayers to pa

Will Rhode Island Teachers Endorse the Mayor Who Fired Every Providence Teacher?
The teachers of Rhode Island are in a jam. Incumbent Governor Lincoln Chafee is retiring. The Democratic primary pits state treasurer Gina Raimondo against Providence Mayor Angel Taveras. Teachers can’t forgive Raimondo for her role in cutting their pension benefits. It appears they may endorse Taveras even though he pink-slipped every teacher in Providence (and rehired them all), admires the n


Exciting News for My Lecture at Northridge on October 2!
I just received conformation that Matt Damon will introduce me when I speak at California State University at Northridge on October 2. Wow!

Charter Schools in Ohio: No Accountability
The latest reports from the Ohio Departmrnt of Education show that charter schools do no better–and often considerably worse–than public schools. Many are operated for-profit, but don’t admit it when they use public funds to market their wares. Here is a report from Bill Phillis, who worked in the Ohio Department of Education. He offers an article by Denis Smith, who was responsible for monitoring
Deborah Meier Reviews “Reign of Error”
Many years ago, Deborah Meier and I used to be antagonists. She was a progressive and I was a conservative. But in 2004 or 2005, we started blogging together, exchanging posts each week in which we practiced “Bridging Differences.” She (and events) turned me around. I have often said, half in jest, that anyone who spends five years blogging with Debbie Meier will eventually be converted. I was th


G.F. Brandenburg Reviews “Reign of Error”
G.F. Brandenburg is a retired math teacher who taught in the DC public schools for many years. He also has a star turn in “Reign of Error.” Here is his review And here is part 2. He writes: “This book gratifies me because it lays out in a concise and organized manner much of what I and a number of other education bloggers have been trying to point out for the last four or five years. Ravitch’s cle


Mayoral Race in Boston: A Champion of Public Education!
One candidate in the crowded field running for mayor in Boston has emerged as a clear-headed supporter of public schools: Rob Consalvo. His statement outlining his plans to support the children in Boston’s schools is coherent, thoughtful, and realistic. Consalvo has taken a principled stand against outside money in the campaign from groups like Stand for Children and DFER, and set an example tha
EduShyster Reviews “Reign of Error”
EduShyster is typically hilarious and arch. In this review, the only funny part is when she tells the tale of being required to entertain me for two hours in 2010 while pretending she had read my latest book. In this review, she shows that she read “Reign of Error” carefully. She actually devoured it in less than two days, then overnight ed it to her sister, an elementary school teacher. She wri
Diane in the Evening 9-17-13 Diane Ravitch's blog | A site to discuss better education for all
Diane Ravitch's blog | A site to discuss better education for all: Steve Strieker Reviews “Reign of Error”Steve Streiker is a teacher and a proud union member who lives in Janesville, Wisconsin. He has felt the brunt of “reform,” where teachers, unions, and public education are the targets. Here is his review of “Reign of Error.” He writes: “Today, Ravitch’s much-anticipated new book, Reign of Err