Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, September 20, 2013

If I were a Principal: An Enthusiastic Welcome to Take Note of - Student Voice

Student Voice:

If I were a Principal: An Enthusiastic Welcome to Take Note of


 Welcome, students, to the start of another bright year at Interlake High!
As your new incoming principal, as well as one of the youngest principles in the state, I feel exceptionally privileged to welcome everyone back to school, back to this great hall of learning. Call me naive, but I think that this next year will make Interlake’s permanent legacy upon the world.
Why such enthusiasm? It’s not just because of my young age, or because of inexperience. Yes, I have seen schools where students and teachers seem to gear up every morning, preparing to fight in another chapter of a never-ending war. Yes, I’ve seen schools where the bright are underserved and tedious standardized tests rule the environment, where getting a 5 on an AP test becomes more important than someone’s happiness, than someone’s health, than their own sanity. I’ve seen people approach school with that same, lackluster attitude of “I’m wasting my time here”. And why do I know this so well? I, like all of your teachers, have just as much gone through this experience.
That’s why this year, I want to write a special letter to you, the student, telling you exactly what we are here for, and how
we could actually help you on this small section of the game of Life. Your high school years will be very memorable, but it all depends on how you approach them.
This is my favorite time of the school year, the very start. When students are still relatively renewed and bored from the long summer recess, and when everyone still have clear goals in mind. This year will be different; this will be the year that my grades won’t fall below a C. This will be the year when I’ll sleep before midnight
- See more at: http://stuvoice.org/blog/2013/09/20/if-i-were-a-principal-an-enthusiastic-welcome-to-take-note-of/?utm_source=feedly#sthash.1Ruh0ELC.dpuf