Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

End of an Error? | EduShyster

End of an Error? | EduShyster:

End of an Error?

Can Diane Ravitch’s new book reshape the nonsensical debate about our public schools?
I first met Diane Ravitch when she was in Boston to promote her last book: The Death and Life of the Great American School System. The editor of a newspaper for AFT Massachusetts, I planned to interview Ravitch for the final issue of the school year. But I harbored a shameful secret: I had not read the book. You see, “editor” doesn’t quite describe the job that I held. I was responsible for producing a monthly newspaper–entirely by myself. By the time Ravitch arrived, I was on my ninth paper of the school year, and completely fried

But I had a plan. I’d skim the book on the train then, channeling my many years of graduate school, I’d wing it. Except that Ravitch turned out to be rather more formidable than I’d expected. This had the effect of causing the few questions I’d prepared to tumble out in a nervous rush, while her answers seemed to be of the short, definitive variety. When one of