Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, September 21, 2013

9-21-13 teacherken at Daily Kos

teacherken at Daily Kos:




Education Nation again - note what is missing?
From the Press Release from NBC: The fourth annual Summit will tackle what it takes for a student to be successful in the classroom and beyond. This year, the fourth annual Education Nation Summit will explore “What It Takes” to get a student through school and ready to succeed in college, career and beyond on Monday, October 7 and Tuesday, October 8. Through individual stories, we will form a col

Starting to stretch my students
It is Saturday morning.  It is my normal time to reflect on my week as a teacher, albeit a bit later than usual this morning - but for a good reason, as you can read here This week I began to stretch my students, in a variety of ways.  Interim reports get printed in the middle of next week, and distributed on Friday, so I had to get assessments in on all my students.  For AP Govt it is 70% of thei

September 21, 1974
was a Saturday.  It was late afternoon.   I had spent several hours visiting friends on the campus of Bryn Mawr College.  I lived not far away, in Rosemont, and I had planned to go into Philadelphia, riding the Paoli Line train, top attend a party to which I had been invited. I was 28 years old, working as a computer programmer analyst, living in a rented room. As I waited for my train, a familiar

SEP 18

Leaves on the Current - another phase in her treatment
Because she has done so remarkably well in her recovery from her blood cancer, we are going to be entering a new phase. Next Wednesday we will spend a day getting trained for dealing with the next phase of her treatment.  Assuming no obstacles are found as a result of a series of medical tests next week - the first full week of October she will spend four days having stem cells extracted from her

SEP 16

Awaiting the chance to offer some news
about Leaves on the Current.  Wish I could say more, but we are on hold until she talks with her oncologist, probably tomorrow. Don't worry.  The discussion is because of how well she is doing. But it could represent some major changes in the short term. In the meantime, given my new teaching position and ensuring she gets the best care, I am dropping almost everything other than school and taking